Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960?s Volume 2 DVD Review
Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960?s Volume 2
Available on DVD:? October 27, 2009
Official Site URL: www.kidswb.com
Since I was a working mom back in the mid 60’s, I occasionally tuned in Saturday Morning cartoons to amuse my little girl while I cleaned house. Their color and movement fascinated her little eyes and kept her happy until the household chores were done. Since I never got to watch them with her fully the first time around, I thought it would be interesting to try again two generations later.
Warner Brothers Presents Saturday Morning Cartoons, 1960’s, Volume 2, is a sample of twelve shows that were then on television. Here is what I found on my trip down memory lane. Adults will enjoy writers’ gags and jokes but probably not children. The simple animation that was then groundbreaking does not fare well placed against today’s digital and computerized animation.
Saturday Morning Cartoons, V. 2, includes:
- Quick Draw McGraw: Mine Your Manners/Vacation Tripped/Person To Prison
- Space Kidettes/Young Samson & Goliath: Show # 5 – Space Heroes / The SSX-19
- Bugs Bunny Show: #23 – Big House Bunny/Canned Feud/Home Tweet Home
- The Porky Pig Show: #3 – Scaredy Cat/Baton Bunny/Feather Dusted
- Adventures of Young Gulliver: Dangerous Journey
- The Wally Gator Show (with Lippy the Lion and Touche Turtle): Droopy Dragon/Whale of a Tale/Sea-Saw
- The Jetsons: Elroy’s Mob
- Quick Draw McGraw: The Mark of El Kabong/Party Pooper Pop/Chily Chiller
- Peter Potamus Show (with Breezly and Sneezly and Yippie, Yappie, Yahooey): Wagon Train Strain / Missle Fizzle / Black Bart
- The Road Runner Show: #1 – Zip and Snort/The Jet Cage/The Wild Chase
- Atom Ant Show (with Precious Pupp and Hillbilly Bears): Atom Ant Meets Karate Ant / Bowling Pinned / Picnic Panicked
- Tom & Jerry Show (MGM-TV): Saltwater Tabby/Mutts About Racing/Just Ducky
- Magilla Gorilla / Punkin Puss / Ricochet Rabbit: Show #3 – Private Magilla / Army Nervy Game / TV Show
I especially enjoyed the Looney Toons and Merrie Melodies episodes. Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig, the Road Runner, and Tom and Jerry are classic cartoon characters that predate television by a couple of decades. Their writing is not dependant on current events or history. They are just good clean fun. I also was interested in the link between Yogi Bear and Magilla Gorilla developed in the special feature Completely Bananas: The Magilla Gorilla Story.
Warner Brothers Presents Saturday Morning Cartoons, 1960’s, Volume 2, is 277 minutes running time. It is being released on DVD October 27, 2009. loved my trip down memory lane. The introductory Saturday Morning Wake-Up Calls really set the stage. If you like nostalgia, this video is for you.
Here’s a look at a Jetsons Clip From the DVD: ?Dog Slobber?